How to sync / connect your Wired / Wireless xbox 360 controller to the console
Related Products: Wired Controller for xbox 360, Wireless Controller for xbox 360
Applies to: Xbox 360 Consoles (Slim or Old versions)
Learn how to connect a wireless or wired controller to your Xbox 360 console.
Connect a wireless Xbox controller
- Turn on your console.
- Press and hold the Guide button on the controller until it turns on.
- Press and release the connect button on the console.
|For Xbox 360 E console|
|For Xbox 360 S console||For Original Xbox 360 console|
- Wait 20 seconds, press and release the connect button on the controller.
- The lights around the console's power button will stop flashing once the controller connects to the console.
On the Xbox 360 S console, when controllers are connected, they have one of four positions. Each position appears as a lighted section around the console power button and the controller Guide button.
On the 360 E console, a solid green light on the front of the console shows that the controller is connected. To see the player position, look at the ring of light around the Guide button on your controller. It will indicate one of the four position.
If the controller doesn't turn on, check the batteries in the batteries compartment. Insert fresh/new AA batteries into the battery case and make sure you place them correctly.
To connect more controllers, follow these steps again. You can connect up to four controllers. Each connected controller appears as a lighted section around the console’s power button and around the Guide button in the middle of each controller.
- To disconnect a wireless controller, press and hold the Guide button for about three seconds, and then choose to turn the controller off on your TV Screen.
- If you choose to turn off the console, the controller will reconnect the next time you turn on the console.
- The controller can be connected to one console at a time. You can connect the controller to a different console, but the controller will lose the connection to the previously connected console.
Connect a wired Xbox controller
Plug the Xbox 360 Wired Controller into the USB ports on the front of the Xbox 360 console. To disconnect the controller, pull on the connector, not the cable.
The cable on the Xbox 360 Wired Controller features an inline release. If someone pulls the cable, the inline release reduces the chance of the Xbox 360 console falling.
Wireless controller troubleshooting
If your wireless controller doesn't turn on, or if it loses power, try the following solutions:
Solution 1: Replace the batteries
Insert a new set of AA alkaline batteries into the Xbox 360 Wireless Controller, and then try to turn it on.
Solution 2: Try a different battery pack
If you have another Xbox 360 Wireless Controller, take the battery pack from that controller and attach it to your controller. Then, try turning on your controller. If it works with the different battery pack, your original battery pack might be defective. If your controller is under warranty, you can order a replacement battery pack from Xbox Support. For more information, see the Contact Us section at the bottom of this page.
If your controller is out of warranty, you can buy a new battery pack from a retail store.